Monday, February 5, 2007

Turn My Turbines 005 : Pepsi Blue and other marketing failures I enjoyed

We all know of these crazy ideas the big companies come up with. The ideas to keep their marketing "fresh" and "hip" some of them are just awful but others are great that were nay sayed by the general majority. It just turns my turbines that these great products are no longer being made and sold to the American public.

Pepsi Blue for example. I loved that stuff. I'm probably going to buy a bottle on Ebay to drink. You have Pepsi. Pepsi is great. Not as great as coke, but still pretty good. The color blue. That's just a great color in general. Traditionally associated with boys, crips and the ocean. But it's fruity taste wasn't liked by many because it wasn't being sold in the right locations. Keep this in areas where gangs and water are abundant. California, Florida, any coast line basically. Send it to inner cities, all boys schools, send it to the local Sheetz and BCO Mart for my purchasing and consuming enjoyment. Just bring this fruity, berry, delicious beverage back to the market or at least sell it through your company as a special order even if it costs extra. I will pay an unreasonable price for this. It's my god given right as an American consumer.

Another fantastic idea that fell through was Heinz EZ Squirt. You remember this stuff right? Colored ketchup? Blastin' Green, Funky Purple and Stellar Blue. They even made mystery rainbow bottles with the colors pink, teal and orange. You didn't know what color you got until you squirted it onto something. This was a fucking amazing idea that appealed to kids my age when it came out but adults were often too disgusted by the fact that it looked different so they wouldn't get it. Didn't they learn from the 60s? Never judge anything by it's color. It leads me to believe that the false colors of Heinz ketchup brought out the true racist colors in America's Baby Boomer parents. Bring this back, your target age group is now old enough to purchase this on their own and we will. Red is a communist color and I'm an American and I don't need no commie colors on my freedom fries, or else the terrorists win.

Dr. Pepper Red Fusion. Cherry Dr. Pepper. What was wrong with this? There are varieties of Dr. pepper with more add on flavors than actual ingredients. (Black Cherry Vanilla, Mint, Pineapple, Zebra Dr. Pepper, a popular version of Dr. Pepper in Africa and the southern United States). Shame on the American public for not supporting this awesome drink because it was red and shame on the people who make this for pussying out so soon on what could've been a fine, fine product.

Sierra Mist Cranberry Blast. Where the FUCK is this stuff. Like the holiday hawk, comes around once a year then it's gone. I searched high and low at my local Martin's and Walmart for this and couldn't find it. Not a marketing failure but an elusive soda that I want to try.

Pepsi Holiday Spice. Quite possibly the best variant of Pepsi my mouth has ever had the grace of tasting. It was delicious cola with a hint of ginger and cinnamon. Only sold for 8 weeks in 2004. I cannot believe this didn't become as much of a holiday tradition as eating more than you should and passing out on the couch or watching your enamored uncle hit on your aunt's sister. There is a reason the Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2004 hold a special place in my heart and taste buds and this is it.

Yeah some things just aren't meant to be I guess but if these companies were smart they would specially make these forgotten products for their loyal customers who actually enjoy them even if it does cost extra they could make some money off of it. Kudos, comments and suggestions appreciated.

2 comments:

Money Pants said...

Do they still make chocolate Kudos bars those were the bomb and you could trick your parents into believing that it was a health food. Mmmmmm Kudos almost as good as carmaelized babies

Anonymous said...

Hey Revan, this is Seph. I love this blog page. Genius at work. And you're right, Pepsi Blue was the SHIT. Preach on brotha.